Planteome Ontology Development and Coordination Working Group
- 1 Participants
- 2 Ontology Working Group Meetings:
- 3 Goals and Objectives:
- 3.1 1. Develop a set of common reference ontologies to describe major knowledge domains of plant biology, comprising plant phenotype and traits, environments, and biotic and abiotic stresses, including plant diseases.
- 3.2 2. Develop standards, workflows and tools for ontology development, curation and improved annotation of genes, genomes, phenotype and germplasm.
- 4 Ontology Development Workshops
- 5 Links to current versions of the Ontologies:
- Jaiswal Lab (Oregon, OSU): Laurel Cooper (Project coordinator, Curator), Pankaj Jaiswal (PI), Justin Elser (System Admin), Austin Meier (Curator)
- Mungall Group (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory): Chris Mungall (Co-PI, AmiGO2, Gene Ontology)
- CGIAR Consortium (Montpellier, France and CG centers around the world): Elizabeth Arnaud (Co-PI, Crop Ontology), Marie Angelique Laporte (Ontology Engineer), Léo Valette* (former Curator, IBP + CO)
- Rosemary Shrestha (Wheat Traits, CIMMYT, Mexico, Curator), Kate Dreher (Maize Traits, CIMMYT, Mexico, Curator),
- New York Botanic Garden (Bronx, NY): Dennis W. Stevenson (Co-PI), new curator to be added
- Barry Smith, University at Buffalo (Ontology Consultant)
- Georgios Gkoutos, University of Aberystwyth, UK (Senior Personnel, PATO), new curator to be added
- Has left the project*
Ontology Working Group Meetings:
- Goal is to hold these meetings on a bi-weekly basis on Tuesday 8:15 am PST (GMT -8)/ PDT (GMT -7)
- Please check for your specific local time, if you are not sure here is a handy site: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html.
Ontology Working Group_Meetings- 2015
Ontology Working Group_Meetings- 2016
Ontology Working Group_Meetings- 2017
Jan 23rd, 2018 Ontology Working Group Meeting
Feb 27th, 2018 Ontology Working Group Meeting
March 16th, 2018 Ontology Meeting-Avocado + Cherimoya
April 10th, 2018 Ontology Working Group Meeting
April 13th, 2018 Plant Phenoscape Group Meeting
Oct. 30th, 2018 Web Site Refresh Meeting
Goals and Objectives:
1. Develop a set of common reference ontologies to describe major knowledge domains of plant biology, comprising plant phenotype and traits, environments, and biotic and abiotic stresses, including plant diseases.
The project will provide a suite of reference and interoperable ontologies (Figure-1) relevant to the knowledge domain of plant biology required for annotating and describing the experiments, data sets, tagging published papers, and images.
These ontologies include the Plant Ontology (PO); Trait Ontology (TO), Environment Ontology (EO) and Plant Stress Ontology (PSO) to be developed by the cROP project and will associate them to the existing reference ontologies for relevant knowledge domains (Figure-1 Table-1) being developed and funded by other resources.
The Planteome project will also contribute to and enhance the existing reference ontologies, developed and maintained by the proposal partners. A network of national and international collaborators, representing major plant genomics resources, large-scale phenotype and genome annotation projects (Appendix-A3), will apply the set of reference ontologies to empower researchers to build their hypotheses, query, discover and analyze the plant genomics and genetics data sets.
- Plant Trait Ontology (TO)
- Plant Environment Ontology (EO)
- Plant Ontology (PO)
- Plant Stress Ontology (PSO)
- Coordination with the Phenotypic Qualities Ontology (PATO)
- Building references with the Crop Ontology (CO) as a resource of concepts for cROP
2. Develop standards, workflows and tools for ontology development, curation and improved annotation of genes, genomes, phenotype and germplasm.
2.1 Collaborative approaches on ontology development and annotation:
- Transition to OWL Format
- Introduction of Elk reasoner and Continuous Integration (CI) system
- Development of TermGenie tool for TO and PO
- Use of Inferred graph completion
2.2 Improving ontology-based annotations for plant genomes and develop quality assessment matrix:
2.3 Annotating orphan plant genomes and maintaining reference genome annotations.
Ontology Development Workshops
Planteome Curator workshop Fall 2015
Links to current versions of the Ontologies:
Planteome Development Browser Updates nightly
Plant Trait Ontology (TO)
Link to most recent changes on GitHub: Plant Trait Ontology repository
Plant Ontology (PO)
Crop Ontology (TO)
- Crop Ontology Pages on wiki
- Link to home page: Crop Ontology Curation Tool